Ayurveda : Festival And Food
The Ancient tradition of celebrating festivals goes back to the Vedic times. The Vedic scriptures and literature give many source of information about festivals when celebrations were carried on to honor gods, trees, rivers and mountains. These festivals include food, prayers, fasting, social and cultural significance.
Cuisine during these festivals had regional and cultural influence. But most of it had Ayurvedic base to it. In the month of April there is celebration for appearance day of Lord Rama. I would like to share some of the preparations made for this day which are offered to Lord Rama and accepted as blessed food called (Prasadam) and its value for the body.
- Moong Dal Salad: This is a light salad prepared on Rama Navami. Serving 4-5
- Green Jalapeño – 1
- Grated coconut – 2 TBL Spoon
- Pink Salt – ¼ tsp
- Cucumber – 1
- Lemon – ½
- Carrot -1
- Cilantro – Small bunch
Soak Moong Dal (Lentil) for 2 hrs. in a bowl using 10 Oz of water. After 2 hrs. it should be easily breakable using fingers. Drain out the water and add chopped fine jalapeño, grated coconut, pink salt, add pieces of cucumber and carrot which are cut in small pieces. Mix all and squeeze ½ Lemon and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Jaggery Drink : It is a cooling drink and perfect for the weather. Serving 1 cup
- Powdered Jaggery – 2 Tbl Spoon
- Water – 12 Oz
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Dry Ginger Powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 Tsp
Add jaggery to the water in a vessel and let it sit for 20 minutes. Stir with a spoon and ensure that all the jaggery is dissolved. Remove impurities by straining. Add the cardamom, dry ginger powder and black pepper powder Stir. Serve at room temperature.
- Dry Ginger mixture : To control the increasing pitta and melting khapa in body . Serving 1 Tsp (Individually)
- Dry Ginger Powder – 4 Tbsp
- Organic Cane Sugar – 7 Oz
- Caraway Seeds – 3.5 Oz
- Dry Grated Coconut – 3 Oz
- Cardamom Powder – 1 Tsp
Mix all the above ingredients in a dry bowl .
This powder should be consumed not more than 1 Tsp at noon time before meals.
- Spiced Butter Milk: To control the increasing pitta in body. Serving 10 Oz
- Pealed Ginger – 1 Tsp
- Green Jalapeño – ¼
- Plain Whole Milk Yogurt – 2 TBL spoon
- Pink Salt – ¼ Tsp
- Room Temperature Water – 8 Oz
Make paste of Ginger and Jalapeño add the mixture in a bowl along with yogurt. Mix it well add salt and water blend it well to be served.